Become a Confident Man
Follow The Project
Become More Confident With Free Email Updates
Most Popular Posts
- How to Recover from a Critical Parent 53.00 views per day
- The Disastrous Duo: Controlling Mother, Passive Father 32.00 views per day
- How to Recover From a Controlling Mother 17.00 views per day
- How to Recover from a Violent or Abusive Childhood 11.50 views per day
- Unlocking Repressed Anger: What To Do If You "Never Get Angry" 10.50 views per day
- How To Handle A Boyfriend Or Husband With A Controlling Mother: Part 2 9.50 views per day
- Do You Have Mother Issues? 8.33 views per day
- How To Heal Your Mother Issues 8.00 views per day
- How To Cut The Emotional Umbilical Cord With Your Mother 7.67 views per day
- The Day I Finally Stood Up To My Critical Mother 6.83 views per day
Tag Archives: music
Harry Chapin's famous song Cats In The Cradle hits me emotionally every time I hear it. Whether it's his original, Cat Steven's even more well-known version, or more recent covers like the one by Ugly Kid Joe, it never fails to strike an emotional chord with me. I've spent the last 3 weeks learning to play it on my guitar, and when I play it myself it's even stronger.
Knowing what I know now, I'd say that my father lacks confidence and that's why he is so reluctant to share his feelings, and hard for other people to connect to. He was my natural role model and for a long time I emulated this too. As a result, I lacked confidence and we both had very little emotional connection.
The song connects me with the pain I still feel in my relationship with my emotionally distant father. Ironically, my father and I have a lot of time for each other and get together on a regular basis; we have even more time together now that he's retired and I'm working for myself. But there's a distance between us that I find painful.
My Dad was always there for me physically as I kid, and I don't ever recall brushing him off because I just wanted to borrow the car keys once he'd taught me how to drive.… Continue reading…