In Timeline Therapy, you work with a facilitator who constructs a creative visualisation where you go back in time to before whatever traumatic event has has undermined your confidence. Then you allow yourself to feel the feelings of confidence that you felt before the event, and transport those feelings forward into the future. You see your full potential open up before you, and start living your life towards the new possibilities that you imagine unfolding with this new and more positive view of yourself and your future.
This is a common Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) technique. Generally you get your body involved, and walk forward and back along the timeline representing the past, present and future. Can't say I found it particularly effective, but you might love it.
- Conceptually simple
- Works well with goal setting
- You don't have to relive the traumatic event emotionally
- Requires a creative imagination
- You need to be able to identify a specific event or time in your life before which you felt more confident
- Doesn't really deal with the emotional impact of the traumatic event